Friday, June 14, 2013

WorldSkills 2013 - Putting NYP on the Global Map (Part 2)

In part one of our WorldSkills 2013 feature, we interviewed four of our participants who are representing Singapore in the 42nd WorldSkills Competition to be held in Germany in July. We would like to introduce our remaining three participants: Audrey Foo (Health and Social Care), Zoe Lim (Visual Merchandising), and Joey Ng (Graphic Design Technology).

Despite their busy study schedules, these students sacrificed much of their time to train and represent Singapore! Let’s find out what have they been up to!

Nursing at a new level

Participating in the Health and Social Care category is Audrey Foo, a Year 3 student who is on her clinical attachment at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital (KKH). Going to Germany for the competition will provide Audrey the chance to do precisely what she has always dreamt of doing - travel around the world and see how different healthcare professionals work.

Audrey believes that her attachment at KKH has provided a good training platform. Furthermore, her employers have also been incredibly supportive of her  participation in  the WorldSkills Competition.

Audrey adds that the intense training for the competition has developed her patience and eye for detail. Throughout this intensive training period, Audrey’s family, close friends and coaches have been  her pillars of strength.

Said Audrey, “During the competition, I will be tested on 12 different scenarios and  will have to sit for a theory test each day.  I am training hard to prepare for all possible scenarios that will come my way.  I will give it my very best.  I’m grateful to my School and to KKH for being so supportive of my training.”

Pushing her boundaries
Inspired by her senior and former Gold Medalist of WorldSkills Singapore, Loh Yi Qi, Zoe Lim is determined to prove she has what it takes to to push the boundaries and raise standards. The Space and Interior Design student will be competing in the Visual Merchandising category and will prove her prowess in this category.

“I used to be shy, but with the numerous presentations I had to do in school, I found myself becoming more confident about my work,” said Zoe.

Zoe has devoted much of her time to training. She feels, on the average, about “70% prepared” for the competition. She explains that she has to acquire the other 30% through hard work and training before the competition begins. Her family, friends and lecturers have been rooting for her , supporting her all the way since the start of her WorldSkills journey.

Even though she faces challenges, Zoe chooses to face them with a smile. For Zoe, her many months of pure dedication and hard work will all pay off when she is in Germany, ensuring that Singapore earns its rightful spot in the spotlight.

Zoe believes that the competition will help establish her as a talented designer both locally and internationally.

Curiosity helps

Joey Ng’s ever growing curiosity of the design and print industry and the desire to acquire more knowledge about it have  earned her the gold medal at the national-level WorldSkills Singapore and a spot in the international-level WorldSkills Competition in Germany.

Through her training in Graphic Design Technology, Joey has learnt to better manage her time. Her seniors who have been through the same competition have also helped her much by sharing their experiences. She continues to push herself to new limits each day. However, Joey affirms that there is still room for improvement.

“Discipline is what I feel I need in order to maintain my focus on training,” she said.

Through her intensive training, Joey has gained  a better understanding of  how other participants work. For her, going to Germany and doing her best is all that counts.

“Win or lose, I will still be proud as I will be giving my all in this final round,” she said.
--

Being selected to represent our nation at such a large and renowned competition is an honour. To all our seven students, may you do your best and do Singapore proud!

---

Written By Theophilus Kee Ern, Year 1, Diploma in Mass Media Management

No comments:

Post a Comment